Re: improv vs arrangement

The way I'm using looping is sort combining those improv and
arrangement.... As a dulcimer player most of my tunes are quite
structured,
but with the looping I'm able to create a background that is starting to
evolve into a more ambient type of sound then adding the dulcimer melody
over the top. I don't use anything prerecorded because I believe that the
magic of looping for the audience is knowing that what they are hearing is
being created in front of them. I like the analogy of  watching an artist
paint something in front you. This approach has made the music more
interesting for me as well as my audience since it's never quite the same,
similar but not the same.

Paul Haslem
www.dulcify.ca