Re: loop fades (Re: RiffBox & FX-Tracker (WAS how do you correct a bad loop on stage)

On 7/28/06, Paul Mimlitsch <pmimlitsch@mac.com> wrote:

> This can be done quite easily with a Boss GigaDelay and a FS 5U pedal
> set for "tap" function(though at a max time of only 23. sec).  Program
> Preset slots 1, 2, 3, 4 - 23 sec. delay time/ max effect level/
> 3o'clock feedback setting (can be adjusted on the fly).  (I set the
> presets to max delay time - it's easier to trim the loop time before
> things start repeating.) Do your volume swelly thing on preset slot 1
> (setting loop length with the FS pedal),  switch to preset slot 2, tap,
> record, tap, layer, layer, layer... as preset 1 loop fades.  At any
> time feedback on the loop your working on can be adjusted.  Caveat:
> the unit only holds 1 loop in memory:  you can work on the next preset
> slot (loop) as the loop in memory is doing it's thing.  When you switch
> to a 3rd. preset slot to add another loop, before the initial loop is
> finished fading, it will cut that initial loop off abruptly.  Also, if
> you freeze the first loop (turning feedback to 100% - say a rhythmic
> loop) and set up an "ambient" over top in the next preset slot, there
> will be no way to fade out the initial loop except to cut it off by
> switching to a third preset slot - a useful effect....  With a little
> practice you get familiar with judging fade time vs loop length and can
> make on the fly adjustments before moving to the next preset slot and
> keep everything progressing/ evolving smoothly.  Also, it helps to play
> seated so knobs/ buttons are in reach.

ok, so there are a few pedals that can do that...however the riff box
is even easier than that...its got three steps (instead of a paragraph
like ^^)

1. go to the specfic program
2. make a loop
3. hit a button to overdub while the old loop fades

to me, that is easy :)

> false - you can initiate a midi fade (short, medium, long) on the
> jamman.  This can be of a frozen loop or can be initiated in record
> mode after the loop length is set via tap.

ok, you are right, i don't have a lot of MIDI gear, but i can send
messages via my oxygen8 keyboard and i tried that before...but i don't
recall being able to record the new loop while the old loop fades out
in the background...

if i recall with the jamman, your loop fades, and thats all you can
do...you can't start a new loop until it completely fades out, or you
stop the old loop (and fadeout) and start your new loop...either way,
thats not what i wanted :)