Re: archiving

Dave says:
>Do you have reasonable CGI access at your ISP, Kim?  If so, hypermail
>is a TERRIFIC way to archive mailing lists.  It sorts by date or
>subject, at the user's request.  We could just keep the entire archive
>at Looper's Delight.

Yes, I think CGI is quite possible. I've never had the time to look into
it, but I do have a cgi based hit-counter on my page and that seems to
work. I'm quite certain that others at my service provider have much more
sophisticated web sites than what I've got so far, so I don't think this
sort of thing is a problem.

I don't know anything about hypermail, or whether my ISP has it available.
The list uses SmartList, which does do some stupid archiving. I think
adding various cgi and/or java scripts to the page could be quite useful,
especially for searching archives of past list postings. Do people think we
really need real sophisticated search and sorting? Seems to me a basic
search engine that can find a particular text string would be fine. Seems
like this must be fairly easy to do in CGI. I'd also like something where
people can subscribe to the list from the page without having to send mail
seperately. Like I say, I'm rather ignorant about cgi, so if any of you can
help me out with it, I'd appreciate it.

>Speaking of which, is Kim or somebody keeping every post we receive?

I've got them all, yes.

>Finally... we should be able to include at least samples of various
>profesional artists' works at a web site under the fair use provisions
>of copyright law.  Of course, it'd be nice to ask permission first,
>but in my experience, musicians are far nicer and friendlier than the
>record companies that own the actual rights.  If I get the chance,
>I'll try to get some samples of my favorite artists digitized.  This
>leads to another potential problem for Looper's Delight,
>though... disk space.
>
>How are the facilities, Kim?

The web site has 20MB of disk space now. We've got a ways to go before that
gets filled. More disk space is available, just means more money. I pay for
it now, but if it starts expanding hugely we'll have to start seeking
donations or something. I guess we could always get Lexicon and Oberheim to
advertise, that should cover a kilobyte or two... ;-)

kim