Re: Re[2]: ProjeKct 2 @ Palookaville, Santa Cruz, CA...

> From: Laurie Hatch <lahatch@dnai.com>

> The age-old "artiste" question comes to mind, and it's one of the
toughest we
> have to ask ourselves: when are we exploring and perfecting subtleties
and
> refinements in our approach to our craft, as opposed to rehashing the
same old
> stuff without getting anywhere?  -- The old "go with what you know/what
is
> easy/what is safe/what sells" trap?  Who is qualified to judge this?
Sometimes
> the best kick in the butt comes from outside of ourselves - our
listeners,
> fellow players, magazine crits, etc.  Or, they just might not have a clue
as to
> where we are headed.  There are no easy, or "correct" answers.  But we've
gotta
> constantly ask the question.

Hmmm....Miko hinted at this too I think.  I've been pondering this idea of
"re-inventing" yourself musically.  Is it responsible or proper for an
artist to take his or her rough sketches out on the road to present it to
his/her audience?  Or is it more responsible to refine the work and present
it as a finished product?  As humans, I know that part of the experience
and joy of reaching a new level or obtaining a goal is the journey
itself....but...don't you feel cheated when someone presents you with
something that is less than you know they are capable of producing?
Hmmm.....

> >>I think in my own looping I've been searching and struggling for form
and
> >>structure in my looping compositions.  I'm tired of improvised
> >>guitar-drones that go nowhere, are lifeless and dead, and brandish the
> >>"Recorded live with no overdubs/Completely improvised" tag.
>>BOOORRRRING.
>
> That's cool. What kinds of things are you into as far as introducing the
form
> you're after? (I've been thinking a lot about the roles improvisation and

> structure play in my loops.)

I've been experimenting with juxtaposing ambient loops with more melodic
sections...something with a hook or rhythm.  I haven't really stumbled upon
anything that "works" but I certainly have cut and pasted a bunch of loops
together in my computer!!  Honestly, I don't know what I'm looking
for...but I'm fairly certain that I will know when I find it.  Hopefully.

> >>P.S.  That being say, the P2 song directly after the intermission was
> >>*very* cool, erie, and sublime.  How in the heck was Gunn triggering
those
> >>vocal samples?  IMO, this song hinted at what this group of musicians
are
> >>capable of.
>
> >        I was pretty moved by that one as well. I had a nice seat to sit
back
> >        and close my eyes, and was transported! I agree with much of
what you
> >        say Matt. Sure the pounded on and on for a number of tunes.
>
> Yeah, they really did go Somewhere Else on that one.  Seemed like the
crowd was
> feeling it, too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed something was happening on that
number.  I still get chills thinking about it.  I hope Fripp noticed.

Matt