Re: Black boxes

At 11:59 AM 8/15/98 -0500, David Myers wrote:

>I'm a Mac user, and frankly the computer as music tool is something not to
>my taste anyway, so I have not tried Koan.  But every "algorythmic
>composer" or "generative" music program--maybe every music program,
>period--I've ever seen functions on some basic assumptions of what music
>is.
>
>I feel that it is a mildewed european conceit which describes music as 1)
>sort of map (score) which calls for specific pitches, durations, and
>perhaps volumes, coupled with 2) specific sound bites which are to be
>plugged into the positions on the map.

>But I don't see any computer software or black box which
>even tries to circumvent the tired old concepts of music that we've been
>stuck with for centuries.

Hey David, sounds like your next medium for developing instruments might be
software? In other words, defining the problem is a key first step, the
next
is either solving it or complaining a lot, eh?

>I wish someone could tell me I'm mistaken.  Is there something truly
>interesting out there?
>
>David Myers

nope, you may want to get busy with a new DIY project! Otherwise you may be
in for a long wait while a million hackers bang on computer keyboards....

kim
Kim Flint, MTS                     kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research                 408-752-9284
http://www.chromatic.com