Re: Black boxes

> Computers: one problem I have with the computer in music is the
> regimentation it presents.  Gotta dangle that live wire!

        well, dont forget about mathematics, and recursion, and all
        the stuff you can do with a computer involving feedback and
        manipulation of data. sure, it gets quantized to a degree, but
        some of use like the sound of pixelated noise.

        its possible to do these things without a computer, but
        this raises another point, that being the only limitations
        that you will find, imposed over your creations, are the ones
        that you put there yourself. even though this lapses into
        something approaching cliche, its still true. dont use computers
        because they represent too much discipline. dont use a western
        music system because its hackneyed. dont complain if people adhere
        to methods you find distasteful; do go about your business, making
        "music" the way you want, and if tools dont exist, dont bitch about
        it, try to find a way to do what you want with what youve got.
        maybe you'll get pleasantly sidetracked, and you can spend some
        time having fun rather than bitching about all of the software
        thats not available.

        anyways, i think that if you find the use of a computer to be far
        too limiting and regimented, then youre doing something wrong.
        try using a computer in conjunction with other things. ive never
        considered a computer to be the end all be all. outboard gear
        still gives something back when you take the time to use it.

> Nah, Kim, I'm a hardware head--it's just that, with all the computer
>stuff
> going on, I'm hoping for something that I might make use of at some
>point.
> Until then, I'll be bitchin....

        this doesnt make any sense. since when does anyone here use one
        thing and one thing only? acoustic guitar, alone, is probably
        very limiting (at least for some..) but acoustic guitar with
        stuff is more interesting, whether that be effects boxes, tape
        recorders, microphones and cellophane.. your bitching serves
        no purpose. maybe you cant make use of _anything_ at this
        point because you dont have the imagination to make use of
        whats out there, in interesting combinations.

        but then, i dont know who you are, or what youre about, so whos
        to say?