Re: Monkey Music

Brad Knox wrote:

> Andre LaFosse wrote:
> >
> > future perfect wrote:
> > >
> > > For me, it is easier to listen to free music if I know the 'noise'
>being
> > > made isn't just a limitation of of the performers involved. In other
>words,
> > > I can enjoy Thrakattak because I respect what the muscians involved
>are
> > > capable of.
> >
> > See, this is an extremely problematic issue for me.  It smacks of what
> > I'd call the emperor's new clothes syndrome --
> >
> i would agree here up to a point... not long ago i was listening to
>fripp's
> "that which passes" when a (non-musician) friend walked in.. she asked
>"whats
> that, keyboard?" and i said "no, its just one guitar"... she said "wow,
> hmmmm... if it was keyboard would you be listening to this?"...

Wellllllllll, there are a few ways that you can look at both free playing
and the
'if this was a keyboard, would you be listening to it?' questions.

I have listened to a lot of both, and have played a lot of both, and I
think that
both have value for there instructional value alone.  Now you know a bunch
of other
things that you can do on guitar.  Now I can make some wacked out sounds,
with no
effects save a little distortion, my fingers, and a pick.

Consider them a theory class.

tdb1

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity.