Re: High "G" string

<< >I was just wondering since aparently there are other players tuning
 >to fifths and tuning a high E string to G if there is a string size
 >that wont break as easily to tune up to G.

 A standard 0.09" should take a G tuning but if they are breaking try a
 0.08" or a 0.085 if you can find one. You get a tradeoff between tension
 and strength but it should work ok. Bear in mind that Fripp uses a Gibson
 scale length guitar (24 3/4") so if you use Fender scale (25 1/2") the
 string tension will be greater you will be more likely to break strings.

A standard issue light-gauge set for electric 12 string uses 0.08 for the
octave-higher G string, so it seems like that would take it.  Even still,
many
12-string sets will give you two of those 0.08's, obviously because they're
still pretty easy to break.

Ken R