Re[2]: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V99 #101

Matt...
>> I agree with you on the overuse of computers in the live format. I've
>been to
>> enough shows of just a guy on stage in front of a laptop clicking a
>mouse,
>> you know, where the guy composed all of his tracks at home and just
>switches
>> them on and off on stage. I don't get any entertainment from that.

>> When I pay $10 to go to a show, I want to see a creative act, not just
>> folks playing all of the songs saved on thier hard drives.

Bob Henry...
> Alright...kudos to Matt!!! I'm in agreement with U about live
>performance.
>  Don't really see the point in paying money to see someone on stage
>"playing"
> their computer...what's the point, right?

Well, that analogy works fine for, I guess, the people *you're* talking
about.
But when you start getting into people like Pauline Oliveros and others,
who are
developing real-time interactive computer interface methods, the issue
gets much
grayer.

While it's easy to "write" a bunch of tunes, sequence them, then play
backing
tracks for you to show off to. It's far different when someone approaches
each
performance with a blank slate, no net, and an open mind to the
possibilities.

Walking the wire once again...
-Miko