Re: Noises through pickups (rather gongs...)

Hi Allan and Matthias!

> ...  Seems pretty outrageous for a quartz or bronze bowl.

I agree.  I think it's related to the whole "exotic" new-age thang.

This is who I order from.  These are GREAT folks:
http://www.fareasthandicrafts.com/index.html .  Check out their "Projects"
link.

They have good prices and quality bowls.  They travel to Nepal, etc. at
least once a year and personally meet with the bowl makers.  I have ordered
a number of times from them, though it's been over a year since my last
order.  I've always ordered as a wholesaler (tax id number and all) so I
don't know if they sell retail.  This may be a problem for individuals.

If you talk to them, tell them I said "Hello!"  They'll probably remember
me.  I think Lafayette, Indiana became "Singing Bowl Capital of the
Midwest"
due to my many orders.

> Is it true that they make a lot more than end up sounding decently?

That's my understanding.  It's alot like hand hammered cymbals, each one is
unique.  I've certainly heard/played great ones and poor.

> I feel that mine is hollow... is it? completely? partly?

It seems quite an individual choice.  It's hard to find a "bowl palace"
where you can try a whole lot of different ones until you find those that
speak to you.

> How do they do that?

Good question!   I find the sound three-dimensional.  When a bowl really
cuts loose and sings loudly, it's like the sound surrounds you, coming from
all directions.

Looping a bowl in mono isn't nearly the same.  Using a stereo pair of EDPs
is much better.  One of these days, I'm going to set up four mics,
configure
a quad looper in Kyma, and try looping a bowl in quad.

I haven't found much literature on singing bowls.  This book seems the
best:
"Singing Bowls" by Eva Rudy Jansen ISBN: 9074597017
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/9074597017/qid=971360676/sr=1-3/104-6
135080-9481556

Oooommmmm......
Dennis Leas