Re: animal loops (was singing bowls)

Matthias Grob wrote:

> >my wife and i got
> >married in joshua tree. our wedding took place outdoors, in a natural
> >ampitheatre created by millions of years of geologic upheaval
>
> I might consider getting married again... :-)
>
> >some very large and heavy swiss cowbells- another great sound source
> >for anyone interested
>
> oh yes, beeing swiss, I know this kind of ambient looping well. Its
> pretty calming, once there are enough cows and they are not too close
> to where you sleep.
>
> There are two kinds:
> The metal sheet ones dont sound really good, but are lighter, rather
> ergonomic for the cow. In the distant mix of a flock of cows they
> sound ok, but I would not recomend them for musicians.
> The molded ones are brilliant looking and sounding, but VERY loud
> (the only reason I dont have one).
>
> Consider the goat bells, too. Small but not fundamental.
>
> Snail bells must be handy, but I never saw one. :-)
>
> Here in Brasil we have some absolutely amazing frog loops going!
>
> >and convinced a few friends to clamber several hundred feet up into the
> >boulder-masses, with the intent of creating an ambient sonic backdrop
>for
> >the ceremony. the singing bowls were extremely audible (although the
> >cowbells had them beat for sheer volume), and it seemed clear that, over
> >the distance of several hundred feet, we were hearing some very low
> >fundamentals. this, of course, proves nothing
>
> did the priest say some fundamental things with a strong fundamental
> in his voice? :-)
>
> Probably all this talk of mine is just an excuse for not programming
>LOOP4...
> --
>
>           ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org

he was merely a *justice of the peace*,  and, for better or worse, neither
my
wife nor i remember a word he spoke that day, aside from his answer to the
question, "...when do you think the rain will stop?" which was, "oh, i'd
give it
another fifteen minutes or so..."

more on topic, is it true that in switzerland the cowbells are tuned to
specific
pitches, so that the cows create distinct harmonies? this could lead to
some
interesting looping possibilities. i picture a group of cows being herded
about
the audience in a finely-choreographed dance. guests would have to
carefully
watch their footing upon leaving the event, however...

also in brasil you have some excellent parrots. here in los angeles, there
are
clans of green parrots (evidently escapees from the trade in exotic
species)
that make their homes in several neighborhoods around town; my daughter
calls
them "circular birds" because of their habit of flying in large swooping
orbits
around the palm trees...natural loops...

lance g.