Re: The Big Bump issue.

At 10:55 PM 9/12/2001, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>I'm not sure why you don't just record a blank loop first, at your desired
>tempo/length and then, open it back up and start playing.  I do it with
>big
>pad-like volume swells all the time, and it works fine.  No bump.  This
>is the
>only way you could do it on the JamMan as well.  The EDP will finish a
>loop and
>keep you in record, I understand, but I'm not sure if anything else does.

I believe this is accomplished in the jamman using the delay mode, right?

The reason why pre-recording the loop first is unworkable for most people
is because you want the loop length defined by what you are playing and
not
the other way around. If you are improvising, you probably don't really
know how long the loop will before you start, and it can be rather
difficult to play into a predefined loop length and get the timing right.
You certainly don't want to sit there in front of your audience doing
nothing while you wait for this empty loop to record! and this is not just
about ambient sound washes either, as Mark L mentioned. All types of
looping use this technique.

Being able to overdub immediately after recording is a fundamental looping
technique that has basically been in existence since the 60's. (or maybe
earlier, I'm sure somebody can correct me.)  Since the early/mid 90's
we've
been freed of having to preset loop lengths, with the arrival of devices
like the Pardis Loop/Delay, the jamman, and the EDP where you could tap
the
loop lengths on the fly. Why should we be going backwards now?

kim