virtual instruments in vsti format)
I love their combo plug.in. It reveals to be really useful on guitar tracks
(best on distorted ones)

They are downloadable at www.mda-vst.com

A pair of free virtual synths are at muon-software

Tau-bassline (a 303 clone)
Atom (pretty little synth)

Downloadable at www.muon-software.com/products/products.html

And then a great Tracker. It is vst compatible, midifile compatible, and
can
use almost every bitrate or samplerate wav files. It exports in .mp3 and in
stereo and quad wav format.

The program is Modplug-Tracker

Downloadable at www.modplug.com

As far as multitracking goes there is a nice italian software called
n-track. It is damn cheap, has some quality plug-ins and is vst and directx
plug-ins compatible.Up to 24/96 audio.

Downloadable at www.n-track.com

Peace
Luigi