Re: Looper census

--- Mark Sottilaro <sine@zerocrossing.net> wrote:

> OK, so I went for the "new kid on the block" but I'm not sorry.  I've
> done, and will do, a lot of great loop based music with the Repeater,
> as
> have others.  However, I've also come to the conclusion that it's
> probably not the best suited looper for my primary needs.  I think
> that's
> the consensus on this list.  (only one person responded to my query
> that the Repeater would be their "desert island looper")

Well, I didn't respond to the original question, since I've been behind
on my msgs, but I guess it'd be mine.

I did a lot of research before I bought it and the features I
specifically wanted (stereo processing, 4 tracks/loop and the ability
to persistantly save loops) still stand as things only the Repeater can
do in the looping world today. I still value those things despite the
fact that I've learned about features other units have that I might
like.

For me the biggest thing is the persistant loops (and the fact that you
can swap the media). I don't know how many times I've gone back to
loops I'd recorded before to work with them more, or just to enjoy them
again. This feature alone is very close to making the Repeater a
worthwhile purchase even if it didn't do anything else.

I've been doing audio recording for several years, so the concept of
persistant storage and multiple tracks fit nicely with the way my mind
has been trained to work. Adding looping to a recorder makes something
very appealing to me.

My working methodology fits very much with this paradigm. I record all
the effects into the Repeater. I've tried putting things in the efx
loop and after, but ended up changing that after awhile, since I like
having the effect recorded. My current signal chain is:

 guitar -> stomps -> Roland GP-16 -> Vortex -> Repeater -> stereo amp.

I've been experimenting with adding a simple dedicated reverb after the
Repeater, and I'm liking that too. But so far, I've wanted to loop
mangled signals more then mangle looped signals, if you get my drift.

> However, I think if I
> had purchased the EDP instead, I probably would have picked up the
> Repeater eventually, even knowing it's bugs and limits.  My wish list
> for the Repeater was actually pretty small.

Likewise. I've read about the bugs/limitations, but so far none have
affected my ability to use the Repeater effectively.

> All I really wanted was the
> ability to predefine the length of my loops, the way you can with the
> EDP and the JamMan.  I just found it clumsy to have to think about
> having to end a loop while I'm playing.

Yeah, having looped with a (borrowed) DL4 before I got Repeater, I got
used to just letting it end the loop when it ran out of delay time.
This was my first disappointment with the Repeater, until I figured out
I could just prerecord a blank loop any length I wanted. I don't find
that too inconvenient.

My biggest complaint with the Repeater is that it's sensitive to the
signal level and can't be switched between instrument and line level.
This makes it inconvenient to use with my guitar amp.

> The pluses?  Great effects loop.  Great pitch shifting.  Great tempo
> shifting. Stereo.  Quad.  8 min loops.

Persistant, removable, storage.

> Here's what not to do as a company:
> Discontinue all of your products except for one.

Especially when that one product hits a narrow nitch market...

> Tell the public release dates that have nothing to do with reality.
> Make up lies about why the product is late that are obviously pure
> bullshit.

Unfortunately, this appears to be Standard Operating Procedure for much
of the technology marketplace. There's a lot more vaporware sold then
solid software. Many more promises then features etc.

> Ignore customers that offer (for free) to hold seminars on your
> product.

But hey, you're not BITTER or anything... <grin>

Like you, I still like the Repeater. I'm a bit worried about parts
availability (rotory encoders, etc), ongoing availability of compatible
flash cards, and that sort of thing. Other then that concern, even
after being quite a bit more educated about what it takes to make a
good looper, I'd probably still buy one.

Doesn't hurt that my financial circumstances at the time allowed for it
in a way that would not have worked for an EDP.

Greg