RE: Loop approach: Loop as effect

If you tell a brass player to "blow his instrument" and then take the
instrument away, what you will hear is "melodic sound" generated by the
lips
vibrating in the stream of air. If you add the instrument, the sound is
louder and more focused on a single frequency and sounds what most people
will call "nicer", but this is actually well-consistent with the definition
of an "effect" you gave...

Mind you, I chose the trombone (or any brass instrument) here for a reason
-
your "the instrument does generate sound" point would be valid for about
any
other instrument I can think of at the moment (except for blowing a comb or
singing onto a timpano or something to this effect)...

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de
digital penis expert group - www.dpeg.de