Re: Patch Bay Question...

"I'm curious about the ability to change the order of different modules, switch source/destination paths, etc."

if by "modules" you mean effects units and how and to where they are routed, then the switchblade is a great unit.  it's very intuitive.  it really is an "anything to anything" routing unit.  i currently have 10 very different routing paths programmed and i can switch freely and easily between them in live performance and i'm always building more as the opportunity/need presents itself.

"I'm curious if, during performance, people find that kind of flexibility to
be a real boon or more confusing than it's worth."

no, i don't consider it a boon at all; rather, the device is quite easy to operate.  nearly every aspect of the switching is adjustable (input/output gain...even the time it takes to switch from one preset to another is adjustable...you can pan and control gain in realtime).  it really depends on what you're looking for as far as flexibility goes.  needless to say, in a studio time is not quite so pressing so a normal patchbay would work fine but in a live situation, the switchblade gracefully introduces itself into the mix (pun fully intended) and actually offers a lot more than your average patchbay.

if you'd like some in-depth user experience, please feel free to email me privately so as not to take up bandwidth with my lengthy explanations.

-jim

(jimfowler@prodigy.net)