Re: Real instruments vs. electronic instruments

I think it's kind of continuum.

Even with things like hand drums, your interface is in learned technique.

Probably the closest to "seamless" is vox, but even that requires training
for good results.

Discreet parametric control isn't resitricted to electronic instruments,
"real" instruments like pipe organ require a bunch of "shit management"
and
not all electronic instuments are about patches and menus (theremin for
instance).

I don't really consider "seams" a bad thing really.  A lot of it has to do
with compromises during the transalation from thought to deed if the
interfce were seemless, we wouldn't need practice and we might miss out on
the discoery that occurs when we interface with something...drum
techniques,
polyphony, voicing limitations or characters provided by various
instruments...