Re: non musical looping

At 10:07 PM -0200 2/2/03, Matthias Grob wrote:
>sometime some one comes up with examples of loops in the non music
>world - usually to justify why what he is saying is not OT :-)

Many traditional societies have a view of the temporal universe that
is cyclic. The idea of progression through time is simply not part of
those cultures. The Italian philosopher Giambattista Vico expounded
on this in his "Sienza Nuova" ("New Science") in 1725. These notions
were later influential on James Joyce, manifested particularly in
"Finnegan's Wake." This book is an enormous loop; its opening passage
is a continuation of its final passage.

Looping patterns and processes are often found in the non-musical
arts. Repeating  patterns are most obvious in the visual arts,
ranging from the trivial (wallpaper and fabric patterns) to the
sublime (the transformations in M.C. Escher's art). Dance is close to
music in its use of pattern and repetition. Literature, theater, and
film also contain many examples, though those that spring to mind at
the moment are films in which repetition is used as a framework for
the exploration of alternative views of events.

A few films I can think of in that connection are "Rashomon," "Run
Lola Run," "Memento," and "Groundhog Day."

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com