OT (but maybe not really): Fred Rogers Passes

All,

>PITTSBURGH (Feb. 27) - Fred Rogers, who gently invited millions
>of children to be his neighbor as host of the public television show
>"Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" for more than 30 years, died of
>cancer early Thursday. He was 74.

This may seem like it's way, way off topic. But in another sense,
this fellow performed a "living loop" for children on his program
for nearly 32 years (1968 to 2000). The consistency of the
format he followed -- a familiar one, probably, to almost every
preschool child (or parent of one) in the US for the past 30
years -- varied hardly at all. His TV show was an endless loop.

While many may deride his presence in showbusiness as insipid
and sentimental pap, I observe a tremendous amount of integrity
and an almost Zen-like calm, and intentionality to both the
man himself and his work (funny to think about, since he was
actually an ordained Presbyterian minister and the furthest
thing from "new agey").

Whatever any of us may think about that show, I believe the man
did a lot of good. The obvious goodness and gentleness evidenced
in both his stage and real-life personas (which, in fact, were
nearly identical) are an indication of a real "inner toughness" in
the face of our postmodern society's cynicism, violence and
general hopelessness.

I haven't watched his show since my kids were very small and
have given it very little thought since it stopped airing a couple
of years ago. But, knowing he's gone now, I will miss him. I wish
my own work and (by implication) life had anywhere near as
much integrity and goodness about it.

The "neighborhood" is just a little darker now for his passing.
You can't say that about too many people these days -- or is
my underlying cynicism and hopelessness showing? Whatever
the hell this has to do with looping now escapes me. It only has
to do with the meaning of life.

Best,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

ArsOcarina@aol.com