Re: SV: SV: Ableton LIVE's ability to loop in real time

> > it would be really nice if the program could
>  > "play" a test pulse which could be routed out
>  > of the soundcard , and then back in again and recorded.
>  > The value obtained could then be used to make everything line up.
>  >
>  > andy butler
>

>  I doubt that would be needed. We're talking software here and the
>  computer must "know" the latency value,

Usually the user has to enter a figure into the application.
Sometimes the audio drivers will have a figure available,
and also allow you to adjust for minimum delay without breakup.
...but for someone using a generic PC soundcard the accepted method
seems to be to overdub onto a recording then compare the timing.

The help files for Cool Edit Pro recommend a "loopback" connection
to re-record a pulse waveform .

>. I've been working a lot with Logic and
>  SX and these programs does compensate automatically and it must be
>  possible to do that even in looping software.

Well , I'd guess they just use a default value until you
enter an exact figure in the "options".
I don't think there's any way the application would "know"
the specs of the soundcard.

>  But a computer can never
>  "know" what you (the "analog" musician) is going to play into the
>  recording input in the next second.

huh, me neither sometimes ;-)

>  for live looping since the machine needs only a couple of milliseconds
>  to calculate latency compensation and line up the recording with the
>  spinning loop. I don't know much about software developing but I guess
>  it's called a "look-a-head function".

someone on the list (was it the "AmbiLoop guy",Christopher MacDonald)
did post about how he solved the problem for looping software.

best wishes
andy butler