RE: mac G5 -- what's the word?

At 11:58 AM 8/1/2003 +0200, Per Boysen wrote:

>And it's also nice to have a machine that won't get obsolete too
>quickly. Being stuck with obsolete Mac hardware have hit me twice before
>and besides being not fun at all it can turn out rather expensive in the
>long run.

Well, it probably depends upon your definition of 'obsolete'.  I got one
of
the new 'top-of-the-line' 667mhz TiBooks a year ago.  Within a couple of
months of buying it, the 800mhz model came along and knocked it off that
pedestal.  Then, a couple of months after that came the 1ghz models.  So,
my Powerbook went from being the best Apple had to offer to a completely
discontinued model before the original manufacturer warranty had expired.

That doesn't mean I don't have a kickass laptop, or that I'm dissatisfied
with my TiBook.  It suits my needs nicely, and probably will for a while
yet, knock on wood.  Or at least it should until NewerTech can put
together
a G5 upgrade.  ;)

Lesson here, though, seems to be that if you want to do cutting edge on
Macs, then prepare to bleed money, since they're devaluing the new models
as quickly as they get released.

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil