RE: Rack Bags... the soft revolution!

Title: RE: Rack Bags... the soft revolution!
there is a big business to be done with soft Racks:

the success of the spine animals over the big insects in the evolution comes from the physical fact that sturdyness creates big shock forces.
the outer shell works for small objects, not for heavy ones.
the car industry also understood that and creates a strong internal structure and front ends that "give in" to reduce the power of the shock and protect the people inside.

for the rack this means:
the harder you make the corners, the harder the shock for the equipment inside.
a second shell with spring dampening is a solution, but very expensive and too heavy: the heavier the rack the bigger the shock forces.

so the solution is a leight weight rack with an outer soft shell. Basically 10cm of foam arround a aluminum frame and specially designed big rubber corners. the shock energy will be returned, so the rack jumps arround when its thrown, instead of transmitting the force to its inside.

besides, this design does not say "throw me" - at least not when the supervisor is arround :-)

... and if well done, its cover serves as a seat for the musician :-)
... and most probably it will look nicer on stage

how did Che say? "you need to harden without loosing tenderness" or so...

I was amazed when I realized that when you declare some luggage as fragile, you have to sign to take all responsability for eventual damage on you!

the same proel rack-bag came with a less-than-substantial shoulder strap. take that off and throw it away immediately, unless it's better than what I had. and the bag offers no shock protection- most solid state gear would be ok, but I lost a syquest drive in a sampler when this bag slipped from the rear seat of a cab to the floor of same. a more expensive padded version might have helped here, but it costs you space, obviously.
and a 3 or 4 unit rack-bag, provided it's not too deep, should be alright for carry-on, but consider something more robust for the remainder of your gear and let it go in the hold, keeping just the fragile stuff with you.
airlines regard tough-looking cases as some sort of challenge or insult, and "fragile" seems to be airline-ese for "throw me". the so-called flight-case that the aforementioned ricky was in, sustained major damage on it's first transatlantic trip, and on the corner where the guitar is nearest the outside world. I was lucky not to lose a lump out of the wood. conversely, the old fender case my newly-acquired VI came back to blighty in was totally unscathed.

--

         ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org