Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to the Receptor for Mobius

I think my question did get answered in there somewhere, that is that if
you're willing to dedicate the laptop to a purpose it will work as well as
the dedicated hardware. The whole question of of how it depreciates
doesn't
concern me, I don't believe that depreciation and functionality mean the
same thing at all. Like others I have laptops that are still working fine
for the applications that I originally bought them for. Why should
"freezing" the OS system be such a big deal..... that's pretty much what
I'm doing with buying a dedicated piece of hardware.
I set my laptop on top of my rack and made a strap to secure it. Perhaps
I've been spoiled with the venues that I perform in, spilled beer etc. is
really not much of a concern.
Travis, I really am surprised by your very narrow definition of a
professional musician! I made my sole living playing music for over ten
years, I don't consider myself any less professional now.
I think anyone who is taking their music seriously, is expected to be paid
when asked to perform, is a professional musician. That may make an
interesting question to ask, How do you define what a professional
musician is?
By your definition, I guess that I couldn't even be called a professional
plumber since I don't make enough to cover our bills and need my wife to
supplement our income.

Paul Haslem
Ontario, Canada