Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to the Receptor for Mobius

I don't understand the non-real time argument here against PCs. Sorry, Per,
I must have misunderstood your comments and need to re-read them.  Or was
it
Kim?  I'm open. Educate me.

I just finally got Mobius set up with my laptop and Behringer
controller...I
can't tell any difference in timing between hitting the Record button for
Mobius and hitting it for my EDPs.  And when it comes to controlling my VST
effects via MIDI, in some cases it is faster than hardware. I've owned many
hardware effect units in the past where there was a 1 second delay in
program changes....not with my notebook.   I don't have any latency
problems
either.  Hmmmm...no latency, no delay in program changes...what &#@!@* is
the problem?  :)  All the problems I've encountered have been my own damn
fault...trying to pack 25 pounds of shit (i.e., VST effects and programs)
into a 5 pound bag (i.e. notebook system).  That's not a problem with the
system, but the intent of the user (me). I'd like to see any pro audio unit
handle the same strain we try to put on PC...so we need to compare apples
with apples here.

And I don't see the point in making a strong bifurcation between PCs and
hardware effect units...it's all just hardware and software (embedded or
installed).  It's all about a processor of some sort managing tasks (or
mangling, depending on the system) based on how much memory and speed it
has
to work with, the speed of the communication channel (buss, i/o, etc), the
number of tasks, how it switches between each task, how many it can do in
the background, what it does when it runs out of resources, etc, etc.
Given
that PCs are designed to do other things besides just running music
software, there are obviously other competing tasks to factor into the
equation, but then again, how fast is the processor on the EDP and the
memory allocation, relative to a 3GHz processor on a notebook with 1 gig of
RAM? And what is the expectation of one unit to run vs. the other.
Again...apples with apples.

Why such the black and white separation of PCs and pro audio hardware?  Is
the reality of the situation really black and white? I can find hardware
units that suck in terms of real-time functionality, and also PCs that have
much to be desired....but I can put together a notebook system that screams
and is lightening fast. I just don't get the categorical separation. My
problems with the PC and music software are caused by my unrealistic
expectations....that 5 pound bag issue.

No boxing gloves on here...just speaking my mind and playing the devil's
advocate....maybe taking a more balanced and pragmatic view.

Kris