Re: DRIVE the LOOP or be DRIVEN?

loop.pool wrote:
> If you are skeptical of this statement then I enjoin you to download the
> midi tap tempo freeware plugin from
> Analogue X and practise tapping to music that you know that has a steady
> rhythm.
> Try as hard as you can and just be amazed at how much your rhythm timing
> will vary from beat to beat.

Because the software has no idea what a groove is, its not programmed
that way.

> Even when you take a program that averages your tempo over four beats or
> even four bars you will continue to vary
> your BPM.

Same reason as above.

> Why the human being is so much better at playing to a loop (or
> entraining with a human being) than the machine
> is to reading our playing and then sending out a sync pulse is because
> we stretch our rhythms to entrain in a way
> that it would be virtually impossible for a computer to read (at least
> in the forseeable future).

Certainly a computer would be able to do that, but I also have the
problem, that I never found an "algorythm" to incorporate it into my Max
patches. Though I think it should not be too difficult. It just has to
do it like a good drummer does it. (So far all beat matching toys are
just very bad drummers)

The software has to predict when the next beat will come, and play its
beat at that moment, then if its off, adjust its own modell to predict
it better for the next beat. Just averaging the last beats will always
lead to results which are too late. How else should you be able to track
an acceleration or a ritardando?

The other approach would be to give the drummer a pad to directly
trigger the loop each time. You could even determine a stretch factor
according to the time between triggers for the next playthrough of the
loop...

Just some thought of somebody who build usually his tools all by himself...

Stefan

--

  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

         Stefan Tiedje
         Klanggestalter
     Electronic Composition
               &
         Improvisation

            /~~~~~\
     \\\   /|() ()|\

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt, 94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX   +33-1-49 77 51 72