Re: DRIVE the LOOP or be DRIVEN?

this thread is entering into misinformed territory.

i have owned "Logic Audio" since back when it was "Creator" owned by the german company "CLab"   in the mid 80's.
for a long time now, its human external tempo option has been a very rewarding and useable tool.

this is what it does:

• it accepts midi note input as tempo signals to be interpreted, hence the name "Tempo Interpreter"
• it can also accept this from many different sources. therefore a group of musicians (midi drums, keyboard etc.) can all play together and the average is calculated.
• these midi signals drive the tempo of the current song.
• if you are recording this in realtime, then the varying human tempo is recorded into a tempo track.
• on playback, the song varies JUST AS U RECORDED IT.
• except, u can now QUANTISE ur performance and tighten it up even though it STILL FEELS HUMAN as the tempo track still varies the recording according to ur original performance.
• this also means that u can print out the score normally. something u would not be able to do if it were all recorded freely.

this is how it works:

• the interpreter only accepts notes for timing interpretation based on a preferenced subdivision eg. 1/4 notes.
• u can play any rhythmic pattern in 16ths whatever and only those notes falling on the 1/4 note will be recognized.
• in case of an obvious mistake or triplets, a window around the 1/4 note subdivision is given as a preference. outside this window, everything is ignored.
• a pre determined buffer can also be set. this limits the range that the tempo can change in any one interpretation of a qualified midi note thus making ur tempo changes for realistic and smooth. it can also be off if ud so like.

so in summary the computer will follow the timing of the player whether recording or playing back.
it WORKS. and very well.

what i have wanted for a long time is a hardware version of this that could work on analog pulse input instead of midi.
this would enable my drummer to DICTATE the tempo.
it worked in my studio on a prerecorded piece driven by a drummer playing midi pads so i dont see why the same logic would not work with different input types. same thing really.

"logic audio" algorithm, non midi trigger inputs.

___
Adrian Bartholomew