AW: New here and looking for a looping device

Janosch,

regarding devices in the lower price range:

The DD20 seems to be a fine tool, plus it offers several delay
algorithms. Other loopers in the same price range are the Boss
RC-20/RC-20XL, the Digitech Jamman and the Line6 DL4. Among these three,
the Line6 has by far the shortest loop length (14s or 28s in halfspeed),
but offers single-shot (for stuttering effects), reverse and half-speed
functionality. The RC-20 and RC-20XL does also offer reverse, but none
of the other ones offers the other two options. Plus, the DL4 has also
some interesting delay algorithms (albeit with a short delay time of ~3s
or half of it for the reverse delay). The Akai Headrush would also be in
the same league regarding price and features. I did own the older E-1
variant, which offers either a 23s delay or a 23s looper (albeit only
half of that if you do overdubs, which you can undo).

Depending on the way you work with loops, some delay-based effects might
also be in the running. TC Electronic's D-Two offers a maximum of
10seconds in mono, and has some whacked forward/reverse rhythmic tapped
delays, dynamic delays as well as added filters and modulators. There
are also a lot of vintage devices, some of them might be had at a good
price and provide lots of fun: Digitech's RDS/PDS series offer modulated
delays with a length of up to 8s (in the PDS8000). Then there's the
Lexicon Vortex, which can be used as a textural looper (with a maximum
loop length of something like 1.67s cascading both delay lines). There's
also the original Lexicon Jamman, although I know nothing about this
one.

If using a computer would be an option for you, there are some tools in
the market as well. Mac users seem to enjoy AugustusLoop a lot, while
for win platforms there's a emulation of eight EDPs called Mobius - both
come as VST effects (Moebius also as standalone). For a listing of
software loop solutions, you might take a look at Bernhard Wagner's list
here http://tinyurl.com/b8lw6.

Finally, let me state that it's also but not only about the tools. Just
like you, I started to do looplike stuff with very limited setups (in my
case, the combination of the delay algos of a Boss SE-50 and a digitech
StudioQuad), which really limited my possibilities. Nowadays, I'm able
to use a DL4, an Eclipse, a Vortex and a Repeater for loop stuff - but
there's a lot of really interesting stuff you can do e.g. with a DL4
alone, or with a combo of, say, a DD20 and a Virtualizer. In most of my
sessions and concerts with my improvised dance outfit "Eclectic Blah", I
rely on the looping possibilities of the DL4 exclusively, and especially
in a band context, this is really enough.

Welcome to our strange world!

        Rainer