Re: Intel's New Dual Core Mobile Processor Announced

Here is a new article testing two new systems (HP and Dell) with the Intel
dual core technology.

I copied some below...I can't wait to test one of these with my VST effect
system and Mobius.

"...the dual processors showed their stuff when juggling multiple jobs. The
two notebooks shone in PC World's multitasking test (in which we browse the
Web while converting a video file from one format to another), completing
the test almost 30 percent faster than the Acer TravelMate 8100 did. The
dv1000 was speediest, finishing the job in 470 seconds (or a little under 8
minutes), while the Dell took 498 seconds (or 8 minutes, 18 seconds); the
Acer TravelMate needed 682 seconds (over 11 minutes) to finish.
In video games, the speed of game play varied, but overall we did not
notice
much difference in visual quality or smoothness.

Both of our test systems ran fairly cool and quiet. Thermal design power
for
the new T line is 31 watts, while the L line is rated at 15 watts--up
slightly over the last generation, which had ratings of 27 watts for
mainstream Pentium M CPUs and 10 watts for the low-voltage versions.

Intel expects speed boosts even greater than the ones we saw in our tests.
On some tests, the company says, it saw a performance boost of 68 percent
or
more.

Keith Kressin, director of marketing for Intel's mobile products group,
says
that games should look better on Core Duo notebooks but that multitasking
would benefit the most, as our tests show. "The more demanding the
task--ripping a CD while watching a movie, for instance--the better the
performance improvement," he says.

Gerry Purdy, an analyst with MobileTrax, expects improvements on
simultaneous tasks but not on tasks you merely switch between, such as
working in a word processing document and then in a spreadsheet. "But when
you do two things simultaneously and at least one of them involves media
management, such as music or video, that's where dual core will really make
a difference. For example, playing a live CNN video while you answer
e-mails," he says.

Leslie Fiering of Gartner agrees, offering the example of antivirus
software's annoying tendency to stall other applications. "You can do real
work while your virus checker is running in the background," she says."