Re: Looping setup assistance needed

i think i'm qualified to answer this because i have
spent a fair amount of time trying to do essentially
the same thing.  i had been using a boss rc-20xl, an
old roland sre-555 chorus echo (tape echo with "sound
on sound" function, allowing you to create short tape
loops) and a mixer so that i could make two loops
running usually out of phase with one another,
producing interesting results.  i had it set up so one
send on the mixer went to the boss and the other to
the tape echo.  eventually i would change this
approach a little bit by returning both sends to a
channel on the mixer instead of the returns, so i
could take either loop and route it to the other if i
desired, enabling me to recycle loops from the tape
echo onto the boss or vice versa.

problem is, the quality of the tape loops deteriorates
rather rapidly, since it is basically getting
rerecorded every pass through the loop.  so i don't
use the tape echo anymore.  instead i have sought out
digital devices that will behave like tape when i want
them to.  the most primitive way of doing this i found
was to get an akai s2000 off ebay for $100.  with that
in the place of the tape echo in the same or
equivalent setup, i could sample things from any input
in the mixer, including loops from the boss and use
midi notes from a keyboard to trigger the samples at
different pitches or using the pitch wheel to change
the speed of the samples like a tape machine.  with a
sampler you can also, of course, save your sounds.  i
wouldn't necessarily recommend this exact sampler for
several reasons which i won't go into, but any sampler
capable of looping a recorded sample and accepting
midi triggers will do.  the akai s20 is another one i
use, which is really cool except for the fact that it
only has a floppy drive, so transferring large amounts
of sound to and from it won't be easy.  i use it as a
live looper so it's perfect for what i want.

your question comes at an interesting time, as well,
because i just got my 2880 in the mail today.  as far
as i was able to ascertain through reviews, it was the
perfect piece of looping gear.  having used it for a
few hours now, i must say it's certainly damn close.
the sound quality is impecable, and the ability to
have 4 loops going that you can mix separately is
really nice.  and of course, the tempo slider rules.
the other nice thing is the ability to record any
combination of tracks down to a mixdown track, letting
you either free up the other tracks or put the mixdown
track into "constant tempo" mode where the tempo
slider and reverse functions do not affect it.  by far
the biggest bummer of the 2880 is the one loop per
card thing.  for what i want it for, it's not really
that much of a big deal, but if you are planning on
using it for prerecorded loops, it won't make much
sense.  i would say that from the sound of it, you may
want to consider a jamman for your prerecorded loops
and sounds (basically the same as the boss rc-20xl
that i use, except in hindsight the nice thing about
the jamman is it stores 9 times as many loops and i
believe it has a flash card) and the 2880 as a control
center for layering and manipulating those sounds, or
some kind of dj sampler like the akai s20 or the dr.
sample, which will let you layer loops and have some
tape-like pitch freedom.  of course, i could be way
off the mark and making certain wrong assumptions
about what you want to accomplish, but there's my 2
cents.  hope some of it may help you decide what to
do.

regards,
mike