Re: ? re: really "weird" solo loopers...

On 18 sep 2006, at 00.22, hazard factor wrote:

> For me too, it means 'avante-garde' or 'experimental', or 'difficult
> listening' if you had never been exposed to such a thing.

(not about "a solo looper" but a funny memory somewhat related to
"weird")

I was Exposed once... In 1980 I bought a double album of Eugene
Chadbourne, bought it unheard after reading in Guitar Player about
his experimentation with "prepared guitar". When listening for the
first time I just couldn't believe my ears: Eighty minutes of noise
sounding like someone was ripping off small pieces of paper,
crunching them into small paper balls and throwing them to the floor.
I think I listened through the double album three times on a row and
I didn't find any sound that appeared to emanate from a guitar or
even carry a melody or a rhythm. Musically I found it totally
unusable, but I was amazed and inspired by the knowledge that this
american weirdo had actually put that much energy into releasing this
weird statement. I was also somewhat lifted by finding out that
recordings could be created for communicating a statement as opposed
to communicating music. But I never listened to the vinyl again  ;-))

Then I really didn't think about it much until some years later when
I read that Chadbourne and his japanese partner was almost beaten up
by country music lovers at a concert. Then I thought that his
"concept art" was way too aggressive, at least when comparing to what
I myself was able to envision doing. I mean, using concept art in a
provocative way that almost turns into harassment of people that do
love a certain musical style. Although I hated country music myself I
felt with those cowboys and understood why they got so angry. At this
phase of understanding, Chadbourne's activities did not come out
"weird" to me - only unluckily misplaced.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)