Vintage Gear, E-bait etc

Well... I also knew (back in the pre Ebay day) antique dealers who would go to yard sales, live auctions, estate sales and buy stuff and pay peanuts for it and sell it for a fortune. So in a way Ebay has been good for those folks who in the past would have sold their dead soldier brothers' 55 Tele for $200. Of course, it's absurd what folks pay in auctions. This is true in live auctions too. You get into a frenzy and lose your mind. I went to ONE and will never go again. It's like Las Vegas on acid.

But if any of you ever decide to sell your 1940 Ford or early 60s gold top Les Paul for half of what it sold for new, please let me know.

Now... I wrote this email that follows this morning and wasn't going to send it because it's long winded. But because the thread is still alive here we go:

Well... I think you're incredibly right on pricing of vintage gear. On the other hand, it's like property in Marin California or Portland Oregon! They're just not making any more of it. Fender amps have gone though the ceiling. Some amps I sold like five years ago I could get double for now. And I sold them for very high prices. Some of the new boutique amps cost about as much as a tweed Fender Twin or Deluxe! So I reckon for some folks it's an investment - like buying a Martin D 45 and storing it for three years or a PRS Dragon and waiting a year or two and selling it for more. But it's a roll of the dice. Who can say when the bottom falls out? It might... but then it might NOT! Soon enough China will be like Japan - buying North American history. So this could mean the prices will continue to rise. It's a well known fact that folks are buying vintage guitars for investment. Some who aren't musicians! So in a way some of this is out of our hands and irrelevant to the working musician.

We are on outer edge of a booming antique business.

A good friend of mine is a treasure trove of cultural information. He follows the culture very closely and, being bound in a wheelchair, watches LOTS of television, reads lots of magazines, ponders the nature and fate of the universe a lot... etc. He's predicted music trends better than any magazine pundit I've read - dead on years in advance. He says that in the future hand made stuff from 20th century North American culture will be priceless. For those of us old enough, we know we lived through a MAJOR cultural revolution and historical event. For the remainder of human history, that stuff from those times touched by those fingers who SAW The Beatles or Hendrix or Dylan will be valuable. Just as antique Shaker furniture is now. But... just how valuable I don't know.

I know I love playing my 1934 National thinking of the hands that have held it, wondering what they played, where they lived. It's fascinating. I wouldn't pay what it's worth now... but I do enjoy the vicarious mysteries that ooze out of its resonator and fret board. If you've ever experienced it, you know what I mean.

Just to confuse things, I DO play my brand new (2006) little Ron Phillips parlor resonator guitar more than any other piece I own.

And truth is, some old amps just sound amazingly good. Sometimes the differences are subtle compared to newer ones, or so people say, but when you're out there on the edge of a solo hanging on by a twig, every little bit helps! Or that's my experience. Is it worth twice or three times a much? Not if it costs too much of your TIME. And, to me, therein lies the rub. If you're wealthy and can afford vintage gear and you still have PLENTY time to practice, then Hari Bol! But if not, buy a decent amp and guitar, have it set up well and go to town and ignore the Ebay Weird Hall of Mirrors.

Great music will rise regardless. And, I can't remember who said it but I love the quote, "No one's ever heard someone walking down the street and whistling the sound of vintage Pultec EQ!"

There's so much to learn. So many songs to write, scales to learn, gear to conquer.

And families to feed

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.