Re: Help needed w/echoplex ARRAY

At 07:44 07/01/2007, you wrote:
>At 02:10 AM 1/5/2007, Bob Weigel wrote:
>>I need to get this setup finished for a client who wants to run 8
>>echoplexes with 4 stereo sync'd channels basically.
>>
>>I think what is happening is..we're going to need some midi
>>filtering unless there is some way I'm missing to internally filter
>>the start recording messages :-).  Because right now, when one
>>starts, they all start or some such thing.
>
>Put each pair on a different midi channel. Connect the two units in
>each pair together with BrotherSync.
>
>Connect the midi from Out to In of each Echoplex. Don't use the midi
>thru, the intelligent MIDIpipe feature in the Echoplex prevents
>unnecessary commands from getting piled up. Thru isn't really needed.
>
>MIDI clock is global so they will still all get clock from the
>master pair. the MIDIpipe feature of the Echoplex will filter out
>extra StartSong messages and such. Note that using MIDI sync forces
>you to have one pair always be the master, so you start loops there
>and the downstream units will get the sync.
>
>We designed the Echoplex to support this sort of use, it should work ok.

It didn't work when I tried it ( at Mathon, with Matthias).

I had my 2 edps Brother synced,
both Sync=Out
Receiving Midi clock on Midi Input of edp1.
edp1 midi out connected to edp2 midi in.

What happens is that the master of the pair gets the looptime from
the incoming midi,
but the slave doesn't.

To record a stereo loop I had to
1) make a silent loop on edp1
2) wait for edp2 to sync to edp1
3) record silent loop on edp2
4) use O/D

I didn't have a midi splitter to try directly connecting both edps to
incoming midi ( via midi-controller),
but that should have worked.

I don't remember, as it was a while back and I didn't midi-sync again.
...but I think I got around it by setting EDPs to Sync=In
(may have taken out the brother sync)

Sync=In disables brother sync ( as far as I know)
so the sync shifts around a bit
( but it never goes right out, which happens occasionally  with
Brother-Sync  )

>There are other ways to sync as well. For example all the units
>could be connected with BrotherSync, which allows any of them to set
>the tempo for the others. This is especially nice for group or band
>situations.

...but brother-sync is problematic for more than 1 EDP
...isn't it?

>kim

andy butler
ps