Re: OT: tape (was Cds)

I've been hearing about how CD's "go bad" after a few years ever since I bought my first CD player...twenty years ago.  I still have the first CD I bought (and pretty much all of them since then), and they play fine.  I've never taken any special care of them, other that storing them in jewel cases when they're not being played.  I don't believe that CD's sitting on a shelf go bad unless there was some sort of manufacturing defect.  I remember around the same time I heard CD's went bad, I was told by the same folks that CD's would sound better if you colored the edges with a green sharpie.  Or a black one.  Or was in the inner ring?

Then you'd hear that CD-R's would go bad.  The theory behind this (heat kills CD-R's because they're a product of laser-driven thermal printing) sounded a little more plausible, but I've been burning CD-R's for ten years now, and I have all my original masters, which I've been slightly more careful with (never storing them in a car where they'd get hot), but I had to pull a bunch of things off of my oldest CD-R's the other day, and I had zero problems.

So, I'm skeptical of the fragility of CD's.

TravisH