Help with echoplex...it records..all the time! ANyone seen this problem?

One of the echoplexes in the system we are trying to assemble has this
oddity it seems..well two of them had it but one got stolen apparently.
It was shipped to my old address :-(  Nobody knew if for a few days.

ANyway when I boot it all seems well.  Once I hit record though, it
seems to work right but..after you hit record again and it loops it
continues to record anything you play thereafter!  and mix it in with
the current loop!  Without any function being hit to do that.  Since he
had two units do this I assume it's common problem.  Maybe even operator
error..I haven't looked at the manual for a while.  I don't use the
machines myself. -Bob