Re: Sparce 'n Spacey, part 2: fretless guitar

At 5:55 PM +0200 8/14/07, Per Boysen wrote:
>On 14 aug 2007, at 16.59, Mech wrote:
>
>>  I've got mine tuned to an Arabian Oud tuning -- DGADGC -- so it is
>>overall about two whole tones lover than a conventional guitar.
>
>Nice idea. With fretless I think I'll tune the strings at the pitch
>as they sound best.

I like doing the same, but occasionally I outsmart myself.  One of my
basses sounds very good dropped down to D and tuned to open fifths.
But that made the action really hard to play and it confused the hell
out of the guitar player for the band I was in at the time, so I went
back to standard tuning.  Just goes to show its always something.

>>(In fact, I should be getting mine back from the shop later this
>>week.  It's having the action lowered/neck shimmed and the original
>>pickups replaced;
>
>Will you post about it later? Would be nice to hear from your
>experience with that instrument.

Sure.  I've also got the VG-99 group hanging over my head waiting for
sound clips, since I just picked up one of those in Japan (they're
not yet available over in the States).  I'll see if I can slip in
some looping stuff and post the relevant clips here too.

>>Are you coming to L2k7 this year?
>
>I'm afraid thats not financially possible this year ;-(

Ah drat!  Sorry to hear that.  We'll certainly make it a point to
raise a few in your honor, though.

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of