RE: stretching words

For those of you have not seen Max Headroom,  here's a ytube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSvAWOFdNJk&mode=related&search=

I see that there is not word stretching going on,  but there are pitch
shifts, glitches etc that I'm also interested in applying to voice -
although I don't need the robotic treatment.

Since this was made many years ago, I would think that this max headroom
effect is relatively easy to create with today's tools.   Many have
suggested granular synth and some kind of EDPloop manipulations.   Perhaps
it could be done with a Kaoss Pad.

How would you create this effect on a pre-recorded (or live) vocal
narrative
with today's tools?   And word stretching (without changing pitch) would be
a real plus.

-Qua