Re: Keeping the off-topic off the list

De : Mikkoz <biffoz@gmail.com>
Date : 29 août 2007 18:47:15 HAEC
Objet : Rép : Keeping the off-topic off the list ?

As a long-time reader here, I'm wary of separate lists which require wandering off to a new location.

Well, only once : to subscribe to the list. After that : it's a mailing list, which means that (if you choose so), the content arrives directly in your inbox. And if, like Per, you want to have both lists unseparated, the answer is just one email filter away... :)

I also like the self-regulating aspect of LD.

I, and others , do not. Honestly, it's not self-regulated. I've been subscribed to lots of mailing lists, and this one is definitely one of the most verbose and off-topic-prone. Do you ever wonder why people regularly send their "unsubscribe" messages to the list ? People unsub because of the off-topic traffic. I know this, I've done it several times (and, yes, I eventually came back each time because the information that circulates on this list can't be found anywhere else).

That's not to say that what's in the off-topic mails is rubbish, of course. From what I've seen, it's usually full of interesting things, but, and this is the important point that some people here don't seem to quite process, it's not what we signed for.

It's simple : people who subscribe to this list are interested in reading and sharing informations about loopers and looping music, and tangent subjects such as the instruments used, etc. are also of interest to most of them. But that's it. While reading lists and discussions about movies are things that I can certainly enjoy, they become annoying when they represent more emails than subjects about music-making and instruments...

That's why I think that another list could be a good thing. Of course, it can only work if most of the "usual posters" here do agree about this and use it.

As I said, I had the experience of Analogue Heaven and Analogue Heaven Off Topic some years ago and, as RevFever said "AHOT took the heat off of Analogue Heaven and everyone became happy campers again". AH and LD are similar lists : lots of subscribers, some "heavy posters", and lots of people interested in lots of things besides their electronic noisemakers. The main difference is perhaps that the source of off-topic posts is rarely flamewars here, which is a good thing... :)

I think OT in the subject line is enough.  -m

Not for people who use the digest version. Some of us actually want to minimize the number of emails we receive each day...

Thanks for your time :)
</daviD>

"Simulating the true styles and making carefully.
 Many colours a lot, selected freely by you !"