Re: Following Acoustic Musicians with Looper

On 5 okt 2007, at 10.08, Buzap Buzap wrote:

> To make a long story short: What looping features & skills do you
> need to be able to play live with other musicians?
> How do you keep in sync and keep up with tempo properly (acoustic
> instruments only and no drummer with a midi trigger)?

In my experience the EDP is excellent for this. The trick is to not
loop all the time and always be prepared delete your loop in a blink
to react on what is happening in the group.

1) On the EDP you can always hit Record to erase everything and start
a new loop and the second time you hit Record (or any alternative
ending) you're in a new loop that is syncing to the new "acoustic"
tempo.

2) I also keep one button to instantly retrigger the loop ("stutter").

3) I the group tempo changes while I'm working a floating, non
rhythmic, loop I might simply go Multiply-Record to cut it down to a
duration that loops in synk.

This kind of "looper abuse" is not possible with Mobius on a laptop,
although Mobius does well handle most EDP tricks and adds its own.
This good live synk functionality is the reason I still keep my old
EDP. I can't think of any bette way to sync electronics than an EDP
used in the above described way. The longer loop you create the more
accurate will the sync be. I typically start out with two or one bars.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)