Re: midi controlled looping video on itunes

On Dec 22, 2007 9:27 PM, <kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com> wrote:
through them or do you have some cue material in them, too?

One of the issues to stay in sync with the computer is to be in the
same place as the computer at any given time.  My solution, thus far,
has been to record notes into a delay that, in turn, gives me tempo
information.  Problem is, I would like to do some textures that are
slow without ostinato beats.

I have considered mixing some cue material into my earbud so I can
stay synced.

-- Kevin

I too think this is very interesting and I'm wondering how other performers handle it? So far I have been using the method of recording a shorter loop of percussive type material that I play in a way that it should not fight the coming music and chord changes too badly. I sometimes use this method with the classical multiply layering.

Another approach:
When I play a lead line before anything else I start with creating an empty loop just to set the tempo (in Mobius or EDP). Then I use a sound with some tempo synced effect to play through. It may be a subtle tremolo or delay, just enough to give me the tempo that will keep me arriving until the end of the empty loop at the correct time.

Third method:
I use tap tempo to set the tempo for Mobius + effects (if using any) and then I stick to this tempo when creating the first loop. Of course this only works with one or two bar loops and sometimes goes wrong. So maybe it's not a good method ;-)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)