Re: WHAT DON'T YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR LOOPERS

I have both a DL-4 and a Delay Pro and I essentially don't use them.
I got the DL-4 to go with my little Tech21 Trademark 10, but I'm not
doing that much playing with it. That said, I got them mostly for the
delay models. The Delay Pro would probably be in my main rack taking
the place of my DL8000R if it had a reasonable hold function or even
a bypass option that kept the echos going until they faded out (a
feature I believe the DL-4 has).

So, I'm using multiple EDPs...

The biggest problem with the EDP is that it is not only not stereo,
it's mildly stereo hostile. The Jamman at least supports a stereo
through even if the loop itself is mono. The EDP essentially forces
one to use a mixer in a stereo rig. Okay. So, you can take a pair of
EDPs and use them in stereo, but then features like threshold
recording don't work.

I also find getting the levels right for the EDP to be a bit touchy.

I also discovered at Y2K7 that the EDP footswitch doesn't really like
to be on a soft surface like carpet. I had repeated trouble with
button taps not taking.

Historically, I've been frustrated that the EDP does not make it easy
to copy into a loop if the loop isn't empty. Or at least it isn't as
easy.

But at this point, the EDP is the only choice that's made me really
happy. Maybe I would like the Looperlative, but I haven't played one.

The features I wish for...

* I want a way when using feedback with a loop to select between
mixing in new material (overdub), mixing in silence (fade), and
mixing in a base loop (defined somehow). On the EDP, I'll use Next
Loop to go evolve a loop and then I'll use Next Loop to go back to my
original. I'd like to be able to do the return gradually. Of course,
unless I eventually put the feedback all the way down to 0%, I'll
never quite make it back to the original.

* I wish that feedback on the EDP could degrade the sound rather than
just fading it -- i.e., it needs to steal some filtering notions from
the boxes modeling tape and analog delays.

Mark

P.S. Y2K7 rig...

Taylor T5
        --> Line6 Distortion Modeler
        --> Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
        --> Morley Volume Pedal
        --> Tech21 SansAmp PSA 1.0
        --> Lexicon Vortex
        --> Korg DL8000R
        --> Mackie 1202 mixer

Mixer feeds to two EDPs. One used for the base loop and sending clock
to everything else. The other mostly set to 0% feedback and used to
get one repeat of the material. The EDPs, particularly the base loop,
are then run through a Korg AM8000R to get some stereo imaging
happening and to get weird stepped phaser stuff going. The final mix
then went through a TC M300 reverb unit (with a digital feed to the
DAT deck that conked out on me after 5 seconds).

Changes I'm looking to make:

* Replace the Distortion Modeler with analog effects. I'm leaning
toward some of the Skreddy pedals right now, but I haven't figured
out what to get to replace the Rocktave Divider model or the Jet
Phaser model.

* The Morley volume pedal needs to be replaced with something smaller
like an appropriate impedance Ernie Ball volume pedal. (I'm pretty
sure that not coming straight out of the guitar I should be getting
the low impedance pedal, but the high impedance pedal is the one
that's easy to find.)

* I keep looking for a replacement for the Vortex that's MIDI
friendly. Ideally, I'd do something that would replace both the
Vortex and the DL8000R. I'm not using either of them for really weird
purposes, but programs like Shimmer on the Vortex have an attractive
warmth and complexity that a simple tremolo doesn't deliver.

I also think about shifting to a computer, but it's nice to have an
excuse to get up away from the computer.