Re: OT: compensation (WAS Re: Looping venue help)

I think this discussion of compensation is interesting one because clearly
the music industry is going through a transistion right now in many
aspects
of the business.

I personally have never played a free gig that could have gone to a paid
musician.  I prefer to play backyard parties hosted by myself or my
friends,
or play at charity events for organizations I'm connected with.  Even so,
I'm often compensated with at least a meal at the charity events.  I
wouldn't feel right performing for free if it means taking away a paying
gig
from a professional.

That said, it seems to me that there are fewer and fewer venues willing to
pay for live entertainment.  I see DJs at a great many parties.  I see
karaoke at venues that would have had live bands in the past.  In general,
think that there are more musicians looking for gigs than there are gigs
be had.  On top of that, there are many part time musicians that see the
chance to play in public as compensation enough for what they do.  I know
this bothers many professional musicians, but we do live in a society
where
the laws of supply and demand apply.  Is it wrong for actors to perform at
community theater for free?

Where does this leave the professional musician?  I don't know.  I
personally try to support professional musicians.  I think this world
would
be awful if the only people that could afford a life in music would be the
Britney Spears of the world.  There is so much more interesting music
created by musicians just barely earning a living.

I also think that no matter what occupation you are involved in, it is
important to value yourself.  If you give something away for free, people
tend to treat you and your work as worthless.  I've had this discussion
with
somebody outside of music with their trade.  When they give away their
service for free, they are treated poorly.  When they charge an
appropriate
fee for the very same work, the customers treat the worker with respect.
So, I agree that if you are performing music in public, it is important to
charge an appropriate fee or people will treat you like a beggar.

--Bob