Re: What's experimental?

Chris Sewell schrieb:
> What's Experimental [music]?
>
> I can't explain it. But I know it when I hear it.

I can't, as soon I hear music I know its music or not. But if I hear it
I don't need any label anymore...
If I would be asked by somebody who didn't hear it, I probably would try
to label it according to the musical background of the person who askes...
Same is true if you need to market an event. The label only has the
function to attract potential listeners. The music will be different
than the label anyway...

Btw. this specific label says nothing about style, but a lot about the
creation process. With this in mind, I think Krispen did the correct
thing by using different labels for his fest.

Ben schrieb:
 > IMHO the goal of music is to entertain, either the listeners (top
 > 50/pop/dance stuff) or the musician (new experiences: scale, rhytm,
 > instrument or whatever ...).

Finally something I can whole heartedly disagree.
I think music is an art form (at least what I am intersted in). The
essence of art has nothing to do with entertainment at all. Though
entertainment and art are not a contradiction, their aim is
fundamentally different and is mostly understood wrongly.
I think that entertainment is probably one of the strongest tools an
artist can use, but it is not art.

Its as if you would claim "Music is playing the guitar"...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------