Re: OT: StringPort for polyphonic guitars

At 9:27 AM +0000 1/16/09, andy butler wrote:
>Ricky Graham wrote:
>>http://www.gibson.com/DigitalGuitarNew/gibsonDigital.html
>
>The guitar is connected by (non-standard) ethernet cable to a
>breakout box called BOB.
>Then the only way to get hex audio into a pc would seem to be
>running 6 analog cables
>to another interface.

Ah crumbs!  Once again, Gibson gets within spitting distance then
completely drops the ball just before the goal-line.

You've been able to put together this exact same setup for *years*
using the standard Roland GK pickup with one of the RMC fanout boxes.
The fanout box outputs six separate audio signals -- one for each
string -- then you have to eat up six I/O ports on your computer's
audio interface to input each of the individual signals.

And you can do *that* with any guitar you'd care to mount a GK onto
-- not just Gibson's overpriced boutique Les Pauls.

That's why the StringPort is much more elegant.  GK guitar -->
StringPort = instantly integrated into your computer.  There's no
need for another intermediary interface.

>Unless, of course the BOB has an unmentioned usb/firewire output.

Not only unmentioned, but also unshown from any of the front/back
panel diagrams.  I don't think there's one there.  Unless there's
some huge leap in audio quality from their proprietary pickup,
Gibson's blown it again.

>Wouldn't it be easier to just put a firewire audio interface in the
>guitar?!
>... but no manufacturer will touch the idea, because Gibson own a patent.

Actually, from what I understand from other lists, there are already
other individuals/manufacturers who have perfected the technical
issues behind taking an ethernet cable directly out of your guitar
(I'd assume we're talking either a custom pickup or jack
retrofit/breakout box) and using that to stream six individual audio
paths directly into your computer.  Unfortunately, I also understand
that these same entities did several cost/needs analyses on the
available market, and decided that the number of buyers was too small
to justify whatever tiny profit would result.  So the projects were
shelved.  :P

Wish I could give more specifics, but the people who were "in the
know" about these developments weren't at liberty to give any more
than broad strokes of data.  I do actually trust the source, though,
and don't have any reason to think they were spreading FUD.

StringPort is still looking to me like the most viable option if you
want to "roll your own" setup.  Although I'll still say that you can
get a LOT of mileage out of the Roland VG architecture if you don't
want to mess around inside a computer.

        --m.
--
_____
"when you think your dreams are shattered, it's time to dream new dreams"