OT: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 1:40 AM, bill bigrig <billbigrig@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Isn't 5th tuning on a guitar pretty much just tuning it as if were a
>larger mandolin or violin?

That's right!

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 1:27 AM, van Sinn <vansinn@post.cybercity.dk> wrote:
> Exactly!  While alternate tunings are interesting, so is more strings ;)
> I was set for a 7-stringer, but decided to wait it out till I can afford
>an
> eight or nine stringer.

Well, for me buying a new instrument is not an option. But buying some
thicker strings is something I can afford. So, many thanks to Ariel
that posted suggestions for a suitable gauge in this tuning! And
thanks to everyone else that answered the question. The thread really
took off into a lot other interesting paths! Love this list  :-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com