RE: OT: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

my 2 cents, about 20 years ago I felt totally stuck and frustrated with my
guitar style and technique. At this time I went to the first Guitar Craft
course in Germany and retuned my guitar to Fripp's new standard tuning
(CGDAEG). I decided to throw away everything I could play and continue with
this new tuning exclusively. I started with Guitar Craft material and
slowly
felt at home with this tuning. I then played in a cover band (Sting, Dire
Straits, Peter Gabriel and such) and I had to work hard to map all these
tunes to the NST tuning. That was a good learning experience. Then last
year, I got a nice half-acoustic Hagström and out of a whim decided to tune
it in the classical EADGBE tuning. How exciting to rediscover the old
tuning! How wonderful to be able to learn normal guitar pieces again! I
finally own both tunings now. (Now many of my guitar craft friends have
been
at home with both tunings for many years, but I seem to be a bit slower.)

-Michael