Re: new mac mini with fw800 ... hoooorra!

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:11 AM, L.Angulo <labaloops@yahoo.com> wrote:
> At my last loop show i had 3 crashes as well luckily after a piece!

Holy shit! I've had two looping crashes. One on my EDP at a concert in
2004 (I unplugged the power chord and rebooted it to get back on
track) and one on my MacBook during rehearsal with some extra stuff
added for test. But I don't put extra stuff into my laptop rig for
concerts. And I always "over-abuse" the system when rehearsing, to
explore the outer limits. Right now I'm setting up a system to be used
on a tour starting ten days from now. Yesterday I had around 60
patches in MainStage and found that to be a "memory limit" for the
MacBook with 4 GB memory. So I got rid of most virtual instrument
patches that use long samples and deleted some variations of mic input
sounds. Now I'm back down again at 20 patches; ten mic input patches,
nine MIDI driven virtual instrument patches and one guitar input patch
(also using floor stomp boxes with the guitar). That's almost exactly
the setup I've been using so successfully in Bidule + Mobius under
Windows XP on many computers over the years. I'm expanding the setup
just bit now tho, in MainStage, by also adding some post loop live
processing (filterbank, distortion, ring modulator) which is new for
me. I will rehears for at least three hours a day in ten days with
this setup before I dare to use it on stage. If it won't pass the test
I can reboot into XP and perform with the Bidule rig or grab my
back-up PC laptop that has a simpler Bidule+Mobius rig in XP service
pack 2 (never upgraded) that still works stable as a clock after many
years.

Per