RE: Virtual repeater

At 11:55 AM -0500 3/18/09, Jeff Larson wrote:

>People looking for Repeater emulators are usually a fan of their
>quirky time stretch feature.  There are a lot of software loopers
>now but I don't think any of them do time stretch exactly like
>the Repeater.  Check out Ambiloop, Augustus Loop, Kenaxis, Logelloop,
>Mobius, and SooperLooper.  One of those might meet your needs.

Also, Musolomo does Time Stretch, but it's Mac-only and currently
unsupported (but free!).  You also get some interesting interface
options to manipulate Time/Pitch with, such as an X-Y grid and a
Turntable for loop scratching.  Doesn't sound exactly like a
Repeater; it's got it's own quirkiness/aliasing to the Time
Stretching.  Only thing that used to irritate me about it is that
they never implemented Feedback.

Also, there's no reason why you couldn't implement your own version
of Time Stretch, using multiple VST's.  You could use almost any
VST/AU host, or hack together your own setup in something like
Bidule.  Here's how it works:

First, pick the looper of your choice.  It doesn't matter if it does
Time Stretch per se, but it does need to do something like "tape
style" Time/Pitch manipulation.  (i.e. as you lower the pitch, the
playback slows down; same as if you put your finger on the edge of a
reel-to-reel tape or spinning record, and caused it to slow down
through physical friction.)

Next, find a Pitch-Shift plug-in out there.  Again, your choice.  You
can mix and match until you find your favorite combination.

Finally, you use the Pitch-Shift plug to compensate for the
Pitch-Shifting in the Looper, and bring the loop's pitch back to
original.  For instance, if you use your Looper to slow the loop to
half-speed, the pitch of the loop is going to drop to one octave
lower.  Now run that into a Pitch-Shift plug-in set to transpose up
one octave.  The result is that the loop is now back to its original
pitch, but it's still playing back at half the original speed (twice
as long, in other words).  Viola, instant Time Stretch.  If you want
the loop to play back twice as fast, bump it up to double speed in
the Looper, then use the Pitch-Shift plug to lower the pitch by an
octave.  Depending upon the Looper, you should also be able to get
in-between values, or more extreme settings (two octave shift = four
times as fast/slow, and beyond).

I've done this with hardware (a Looperlative LP-1, into an Alesis
Akira for the Pitch-Shifting), but there's no reason it shouldn't
work in software too.

Of course, you ain't gonna get pristine, studio-quality Time
Stretching from this method, but who cares?  The glitching and
artifacting was one of the things that made the Repeater so loveable.
So now go out and discover the sound that you yourself like the best.

        --m.

--
_____
"we're no longer sure where home is; homesickness is our only guide"