Re: OT - missing the third dimmension - not enough dsp power

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM, tEd ® KiLLiAn<tedkillian@charter.net>
wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing more about this.
>
> You see, I just took the big leap and bought a new MacBook Pro with 4GB
>ram
> and 320GB HD and it's coming pre-loaded with Logic 8 (a program I've
>never
> used and know little about, but thought I'd give a try).

Wow, what a deal! :-)

> The thought that I could still use com of my older Macs in some sort of
> fashion (and I do have a lot of older software that I really do like that
> they will never publish for the new OS) is quite fascinating and exciting
> for me.
>
> How does this work.
>
> M computer is still in shipment (not even arrived yet from Apple) but I
>am
> curious.

It works like this:

You load up your recording project in Logic on one computer. Then you
tic "Enable Logic Nodes" in Logic's preferences and connect one ore
more Macs through the gigabit network port. On the node machine(s) you
have to start the Node applications, that comes as a utility with
Logic Pro. What happens then on your central workstation machine is
that every track that runs Logic propriety plug-ins or instruments
gets a new button that you may push in order to distribute this
track's workload over the network. An exception is the sampler EXS24,
its workload can not be distributed because of legal licensing issues
with the sample library used by Logic. But all other Logic synths is
fine for nodes. Third-party plug-ins and instruments can not be
distributed either. But as for all EQ, compression, delay and reverb
there is not much anyway that sounds better and the Logic built-in
stuff, so you will always be able to offload quite a bit of your main
machine.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se