Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video? (looping technology or artform)

On 13 Dec 2009, at 19:51, Zoe Keating wrote:
> if all the electricity disappeared tomorrow, i could still perform,
> but i'd have to hire 8+ cellists to play the music (which is
> actually how looping started for me, i couldn't find enough cellists).

oh, sorry, Zoe, I did not know you started with the compositions and
then only needed a tool to execute them.
and looping did not bring you new ideas? would your compositions
really be the same if you had no looper but 8+ cellists?
If so, I suspect you are rather an exception, or does anyone know of
other composers who use looping tools like this?

> it would sound different because its not me, but an ensemble of
> cellists could easily play my music.

sure. which sound would you prefer?

> no electricity needed. i've already heard 2 groups do it.
>
> i also know of two high profile cellists who perform music with pre-
> recorded cello tracks and them solo'ing in front. (i.e. no live
> looping)
>
> most people think that we all do the same thing (including their
> publicists). it irritates me, but tells me that its not the live
> looping that people are hearing.

...which might be a reason for you to use the label LiveLooping more
intensely and for me to finally bring the Livelooping.org site up to
date with all I wrote and joined this year so anyone can easily look
up what its about. And we should make a special chapter for composers
who use the tool to execute what they imagine without the tool, as
opposed to the majority who gather ideas for compositions by playing
with the tool and then possibly execute them with a group without the
tool.