Re: softstep report #1

Hi All,

Each of the sensor sources are different and make for good utility
depending on
the target.

The most direct is, of course, pressure - just how hard are you pressing a
key.
This is great for wah, ramping up distortion, bringing in a specific live
result
that varies over time by pressure.

The X-Y increment are ideal for setting values. Say you have Reverb depth
and
room size mapped to X-Y Increment, you can dial in the correct amount of
both
simultaneously and leave them at a particular setting. When you return
they can
be taken from that setting and moved to a new setting.

X - Y live is an obvious choice for quad panning where you want a sound to
return to the center. X-Y Latched captures the data when you remove your
foot so
a sound will stay where you put it.

Rotation takes a minute or two to get comfy with. You literally are
turning a
knob up and down by rotation the foot. If you have some levels you need to
set
for loops this can be perfect.

Rotation - Relative - I wanted to do pitch bends on chords so this
operates like
this: When you hit the key it sets rotation to 63 (no bend, centered, etc)
and
then goes pos or neg depending on your foot motion. This way you can hit
it from
any angle and start in tune and then take it up or down.

Since you can have six sources mapped to six destinations per key, you can
combine and do things that have always been a problem before. Take wah for
instance. Ever get your cable stuck under the front of your  pedal? You
cannot
turn off the effect. Now you can program a key to be live pressure to wah
and
foot on to turn effect on. Then when you take your foot off the key the
wah
effect is bypassed automatically. When you press the key the wah is turned
on
and pressure adjust wah position.

Below is a details description of each of the sources. Don't let it scare
you -
think of it as walking into a big store with lots of choices. You will
likely
use most of these as you advance the control of your setup.

Keith

Sources:
Pressure   Live
X Live, Y Live Averages   the total pressure of the piezos per key.
Polar (circular)
 Plots   the relative location of pressure in the Cartesian plane. When no
pressure is   applied to the key, coordinates are (64,64).

Convert   from Cartesian coordinates to polar where x is the real input
and y is
the   imaginary. Add 0.785398 to phase, and convert back to polar
coordinates,
with   additional scaling.

Pressure   Latch, X Latch, Y Latch Same as   live parameters above, except
when
the user removes foot from key, the value   remains. All live values are,
in
addition, delayed in software to make   latching possible.

X   Increment
 If   pressure is weighted negatively or positively along the X-axis,
add/subtract   to the current value in proportion to the weight’s
magnitude.

Y   Increment Same as   X Increment but measured along the Y-axis.
Rotation Assign   a target value to each piezo. When the pressure on one
corner
exceeds the   others, slew from the current value to the value assigned to
that
particular corner.

Rotation   Rel. Same as   Rotation above except that when the user
initially
applies significant   pressure to a key, rotation value initializes to 63,
and
one navigates to a   new value from this starting point.

Foot On

If the   total pressure (derived from pressure live) exceeds a designated
threshold,   then Foot On goes true.

Foot   Off

If the   total pressured falls below a designated threshold, the Foot Off
goes
true.

Wait   Trig If a   Foot On is detected, and remains true for a specified
duration,
Wait Trig   outputs the total pressure applied to that key at the moment
that
duration   has elapsed. After the pressure value is ouput, Wait Trig
returns to
zero   after another specified duration.

Fast   Trig Same as   Wait Trig, with minimal delay.
Dbl   Trig Same as   Wait Trig, except Dbl Trig must detect a Foot On, and
Foot
Off, and an   additional Foot On (two Foot On events) in a designated
amount of
time. Like   a double click on a mouse.

Long Trig Same as   Wait Trig, with a longer duration.
Off   Trig Same as   Foot Off, except that after a specified duration
after a
Foot Off event, Off   Trig returns to a value of 0.

Delta   Trig If the   change in pressure exceeds a user-defined value in
the
positive direction within   a given amount of time, output the total
pressure at
the moment the change in   pressure occurred. This allows multiple
triggers
without requiring the   pressure to fall below the Foot Off threshold.

Wait   Trig Latch, Fast Trig Latch, Dbl Trig Latch, Long Trig Latch Same
as
Trig sources above, except that the output values do not return to zero.

Nav Y If the   pressure exceeds a user-defined value on the North quadrant
of
the Nav Pad,   then increase the current value of the Nav Y source by one.
If
the pressure   exceeds a user-defined value on the South quadrant of the
Nav
Pad, then   decrease the value of the Nav Y source by one. The source’s
value
cannot be   increased or decreased by more than one until the pressure of
the
activated   quadrant has fallen below the defined pressure threshold
value.

Nav   Yx10 & Key Multiplies   the Nav Y source by 10, and adds the value
of the
key number to it. If Nav Y   = 10, and key 1 is hit, Nav Yx10 & Key
outputs 11.

Key   Value If   total pressure of a key exceeds the user-defined pressure
threshold (i.e.   Foot On), then output the value of the key pressed
(0-9).

Prev   Key Value When a   new Key Value is received, Prev Key Value
outputs the
previous value. If the   user presses key 4, and then presses key 7, Prev
Key
Value outputs a value of   4.

This   Key Value Same as   Key Value, except outputs the value of the key
pressed, only if it is equal   to the value of the key in which the source
is
selected.

Key #   Pressed Same   principle as Key Value. If Key 3 Pressed is
selected, and
the pressure   exceeds the threshold of key three, Key 3 Pressed outputs a
1. If
any key   other than 3 are pressed, Key 3 Pressed outputs 0.

Isolation functions: Often the location of keys are near each other as
this is
desirable to make a smaller device.  In order to prevent accidental key
operations from a large foot or shoe, several isolation functions are
available.
These are unique to a foot operated device as compared to a device
operated by
multiple fingers.

The simplest mode operates by shutting off data input from keys that are
not
pressed. If the pressure threshold is exceeded on key 1, then all data
from
other keys’ sensors are deactivated until key 1 is relinquished.

A more advanced mode operates by shutting off data from keys adjacent to
initial
desired key after it is pressed. This allows two keys to operate – one
per foot
– without unintended key activity.
 Keith McMillen
www.keithmcmillen.com